Thursday, July 16, 2009

We Miss You Dave!






Word got around Wednesday night via text message and Twitter that comedian Dave Chappelle would perform for free in downtown Portland, but apparently Chappelle underestimated his own popularity.

Instead of the 200 or so Chappelle says he expected, the AP reports that thousands showed up expecting to see a rare show from the reclusive comedian. Together with a small cast of helpers and an amplifier that turned out to be way too small, at about 1 a.m. Chappelle walked out to a racuous greeting of cheers and applause. For the next hour, he tried to pull together something resembling a routine before conceding that the crowd was too much for him to handle and retreating shortly after 2 a.m.


"Everybody be quiet for one second," he says. "Everybody listen for one second. This is really important. I need absolute silence. Wait wait wait. Wait. Just everybody be quiet for one second."

"I'm gonna have to plan my sh-t out a little more," he concedes at one point. "I'm gonna have to rent a concert hall or something. It's not about money. I would do a free show ... I appreciate you. I don't know how to make this work."

Zimbio

No comments: